30 Oct 2012
1980 Women's State Team (with from L-R Sue Tonkin, Karren Simmonds, Jane Crafter, Pauline Sanderson (Non Playing Captain), Jan Dale, Heather Dunn, Cathy Whitford)
(Sat 27 Oct 2012)
Induction speech by Ms Jan Sutherland (CEO Sport SA)
Ladies and Gentlemen it gives me great pleasure to announce the first inductee tonight into the South Australian Golf Industry Hall of Fame is:
Pauline started playing golf as a 19 year old, joining the Glenelg Golf Club where her brother was a member. Although always retaining her Glenelg Membership, after 4 years at Glenelg, Pauline was approached by Kooyonga Golf Club and asked to play Pennant Golf.
In 1951 she joined - it was the start of a stellar playing and administrative career.
Pauline was a fine player with her short game being her forte`.
In 1959 Pauline claimed the Kooyonga Club Championship and was runner up on numerous occasions over the years.
Pauline’s career highlight include:
- A-Grade Pennant player for many years
- Runner Up in the State Amateur Championship on 2 occasions
- 4 time State Foursomes Champion
- 4 time State (Mixed) Foursomes Champion
Pauline’s playing highlight, was her selection for the first time in the Women’s State Team and then remaining a State Team Member for 17 years, her final two years as Non-Playing Captain.
Pauline was combining golf with work, initially running a Motel, then with Amusements at Glenelg and the Royal Show. With her increasing commitments Pauline took on the role of State Non Playing Captain, a title she then held for 12 years.
All in all, Pauline committed 29 years to the Women’s State Team.
At Kooyonga, Pauline was:
- Women’s Committee Member from 1975-79
- And Women’s Captain in 1978 & 79
At State Level - at Women’s Golf SA, Pauline:
- Was a State Selector for an amazing 36 years
- Chair of Selectors for 10 years
- A Council Representative for 16 years
- Junior and Senior Vice President
- And President of Women’s Golf SA for 2 years from 1990 - 1992
At an Australian level, Pauline’s leadership qualities were recognized with her appointed as Australian Team Captain for:
- The Tasman Cup - Junior and Senior Teams from 1985-89
- Commonwealth Tournaments in Canada, New Zeland and Great Britain
- World Cups (Espirito Santo) in Hong Kong (1984), Venezuela (1986) and in New Zealand (1990).
- And for the Australian Touring Team to South Africa in 1996
At the highest level at the Ladies Golf Union / Women’s Golf Australia Pauline was
- Council Rep for 6 years from 1987-1992
- Vice President for 4 years
- On the Finance Committee for 6 years
- Australian Selector for 11 years from 1984-94, including 5 years as Chair
- National President for 4 years from 1994-98.
Pauline has been awarded:
- An Australian Sports Award - for outstanding performance in 1983 - as Captain of the wining Australian Team in Canada.
- Life Membership at Kooyonga in 1992.
- Life Membership of Women’s Golf SA in 1995
- And an Australian Sport Medal in the year 2000
Ladies and Gentlemen for her outstanding contribution - 2012 South Australian Golf Industry Hall of Fame Member: